Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Dad's Words Part II (A Love Story)

Last May I wrote a blog post about hearing my dad's words in my head whilst trying to make some life changing decisions regarding the direction of my life. Mainly my career path. Little did I know that when I made the decision to come out to Texas to work with my aunt on Life Is Delightable, that I was ultimately being lead to my future husband.

After being in Texas for 2 weeks, Aunt Irene was inquiring about any cute boys I had met. I hadn't really met any, nor did dating seem like much of a priority to me. What I didn't realize was that she was asking because she already had somebody in mind. "I think you would really like this guy Roman." She told me, while showing me his Facebook profile on her phone. I began stifling through his pictures. Of course I thought he was cute, but it still wasn't enough to sway me.

I forgot all about this Roman guy, until the next Sunday at church, when of course that's who would be the greeter. I walked in right behind my cousin Marcus and he greeted him but seemed very confused when I walked in with him. He ended up sitting right next to us in church and was convinced that we knew each other, which we didn't.

The next week he took me on a date to The Scat Jazz Lounge. We started dating right after that, and after Marcus's suicide he was right there by my side ready and willing to do anything to help me and my family. I knew that I couldn't let him go after that.

Fast forward to just a month ago, on Valentine's Day, I had no idea that a marriage proposal was coming! He hadn't been wanting to talk a lot about marriage and wedding stuff, so I thought maybe he wasn't ready or just wasn't all that excited about the thought of marrying me. I had been going back and forth about making that kind of commitment. Mostly because of my own fears and not because of my lack of desire to be with him.

Anyway since we hadn't talked a whole lot about it, rather than we both wanted it to move in that direction, I wasn't expecting anything to happen. However, I was getting pretty strong feelings about it, which made me even more nervous. I thought I was just being crazy until we were at the Scat Jazz Lounge again and he was called up to the stage. He finished making his speech and called me up to the stage. My heart was pounding and my mind was racing. By the time I made it up there Roman was down on one knee.

I didn't feel ready for this! I knew that i didn't want to say no, but was I ready to say yes? I think it was only a few seconds, but it felt like an eternity that I was just standing there staring at the ring. That's when I heard Dad's voice again. "Lizzie, just don't take so long to make a decision." I knew I had to say yes. As soon as I did, everything immediately calmed down and I felt at ease. I knew that I had made the right decision.

It was even more confirmed when the band began performing "I Will Always Love You," right after we sat down. This was the song that played when my dad passed away and I felt like he was saying goodbye, so it's been a really special song for me.

The craziest part is that I hadn't told Roman about this song and it's meaning and they just happened to perform it! I got really emotional and after explaining it's meaning, he asked me to dance and decided that this needed to be our wedding song. That was the ultimate confirmation from Dad that marrying Roman was a good choice.

We have set our date for June 10th, 2017 and I couldn't be more excited!

Click the link below if you'd like to see the proposal video :)

https://www.facebook.com/BoyCan0y/videos/10206506896830948/





No comments:

Post a Comment